Mazda Australia is proud to announce updates to its popular CX-5 Medium SUV for 2021, headlined by the new GT SP models.
“Mazda CX-5 has been our most popular model since 2019, and we are excited to expand the brand’s new SP model line into the CX-5 range with the first-ever GT SP,” said Mazda Australia Managing Director, Vinesh Bhindi.
“With a range of key updates coming on-stream, the 2021 Mazda CX-5 continues to offer strong appeal for its styling, safety, specification and value in what is the most competitive market segment in this country,” he said.
The Mazda CX-5 GT SP joins the existing Mazda CX-9 and Mazda6 Sedan and Wagon models in the new SP portfolio.
The updated Mazda CX-5 range is now available in showrooms nationally.
New GT SP offers distinctively sporty aesthetic
Following the theme set by the existing SP models, the CX-5 GT SP offers a unique aesthetic that is strongly sporty.
For the exterior, the Mazda CX-5 GT SPs gain piano black side mirror covers and black metallic 19-inch alloy wheels, while inside occupants are treated to black interior trim highlights and seats finished in unique-to-SP black Maztex and Grand Luxe Synthetic Suede upholstery with contrasting red stitching.
The first-ever Mazda CX-5 GT SP is available with a choice of Petrol or Petrol Turbo engines.
Updated specification includes new-generation infotainment for GT models and above; new alloy wheels for Maxx
Mazda’s latest 10.25-inch full-colour widescreen Mazda Connect infotainment system now features on Mazda CX-5 GT, GT SP and Akera models.
As with the recently-updated CX-9 flagship, the CX-5’s new infotainment system is faster-loading and provides higher-quality graphics and audio sound quality thanks to the use of digital, rather than analogue, signalling.
Maxx, Maxx Sport and Touring variants use an 8.0-inch full-colour touchscreen MZD display.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are fitted as standard across the range.
Boosting the entry-point CX-5 Maxx’s aesthetic is a new 17-inch alloy wheel, replacing the steel wheels previously employed.
A powertrain to suit every purpose
Following Mazda’s philosophy of wide customer choice, the updated Mazda CX-5 is offered with a range of drivetrains including front- and all-wheel drive, manual and automatic transmissions and petrol and diesel engines. All Mazda CX-5 petrol powertrains are designed to run on 91-octane unleaded fuel to minimise running costs.
Available on Maxx and Maxx Sport front-wheel drive is a direct-injected 2.0-litre Skyactiv-G petrol engine. This advanced powerplant features a high 13.0:1 compression ratio to maximise internal efficiency and generates 115kW at 6,000rpm. Peak torque is 200Nm at 4,000rpm.
Combined-cycle fuel economy sits at 6.9L/100km for the six-speed manual Maxx as well as the six-speed automatic Maxx and Maxx Sport. Combined CO2 is 160g/km for the manual and 161g/km for the automatic.
Opting for the i-Activ AWD (all-wheel drive) Maxx and Maxx Sport brings the larger 2.5-litre Skyactiv-G petrol engine. This is also the standard engine for the Touring, GT, GT SP and Akera model grades.
Also featuring a 13.0:1 compression ratio this unit produces 140kW at 6,000rpm and 252Nm at 4,000rpm. This engine is backed exclusively by the six-speed automatic transmission.
Combined-cycle fuel economy is 7.4L/100km while CO2 is 172g/km.
A twin-turbocharged Skyactiv-D diesel engine displacing 2.2 litres is optionally available on Maxx Sport, Touring, GT and Akera models with automatic transmission and all-wheel drive. This unit generates 140kW at 4,500rpm while peak torque is an impressive 450Nm from only 2,000rpm.
The Skyactiv-D consumes 5.7L/100km on the combined cycle, with 148g/km CO2.
The impressive Skyactiv-G 2.5T turbocharged 2.5-litre petrol engine is available on GT grades and above, exclusively with automatic transmission and all-wheel drive. This produces 170kW at 5,000rpm with 420Nm available from a low 2,000rpm.
Fuel consumption for this flagship power unit sits at 8.2L/100km on the combined cycle, with 191g/km CO2.
Five-star ANCAP safety with a strong array of active and passive safety features
The updated Mazda CX-5 continues its proud five-star ANCAP safety rating, with a strong list of passive and active safety features fitted as standard across the range. These include:
- Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
- Parking sensors (rear)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Smart City Brake Support [Forward/Reverse] (SCBSF/R) with night time pedestrian detection [Front]
- Driver Attention Alert (DAA)
- High Beam Control (HBC)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane-keep Assist System (LAS)
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) with Stop & Go function (Stop & Go on auto only)
- Smart Brake Support (SBS)
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Airbags to driver and front passenger, front sides and curtain (front and rear)
Additional safety equipment includes:
- Front LED fog lamps (Maxx Sport and above)
- Active Driving Display (windscreen) (Touring and above)
- Front parking sensors (Touring and above)
- Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) (Touring and above)
- Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) (GT and GT SP)
- 360° View Monitor (Akera)
- Adaptive LED Headlamps (Akera)
Key specification highlights
The Mazda CX-5 is highly equipped and value-packed throughout the range, commencing with the Maxx model. it features the following standard specification highlights:
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/65 tyres
- LED Headlamps with auto on/off
- Two-speed front wipers with rain-sensing function
- Powered exterior mirrors in body colour with folding function
- Front seats with height adjustment and seat-back pockets
- Rear seats with reclining function and 40/20/40 split-fold backrest
- Black cloth seat upholstery
- 8.0-inch full-colour touch screen display (MZD Connect)
- Apple CarPlay® and Android® Auto
- Six-speaker audio system with AM/FM tuner and DAB+ digital radio
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio capability
- Internet radio integration (Stitcher™ and Aha™)
- Leather-wrapped gearshift and steering wheel
- Multi-function commander control
- Advanced keyless push-button engine start
- Electric parking brake with Auto Hold function
Stepping into the Maxx Sport adds the following:
- Dual-zone climate control air-conditioning with rear air vents
- Paddle shift gear controls
- Rear-view mirror with auto-dimming function
- Rear seats with centre armrest storage and USB charging ports
- Satellite navigation
Touring models offer the following over Maxx Sport:
- Heated exterior mirrors
- Front parking sensors
- Traffic Sign Recognition
- Active Driving Display
- Black Maztex and Black Grand Luxe Synthetic Suede seat upholstery
- Advanced keyless entry
GT models offer the following over Touring:
- 19-inch alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- 10.25-inch full-colour widescreen display (Mazda Connect)
- Power sliding and tilt glass sunroof
- Remote-operated power tailgate (open and close)
- Front seats with 2-position memory function and 10-way power adjustment (driver) and six-way power adjustment (passenger)
- Front row seat heating
- Choice of Black or Pure White leather seat upholstery
- 10-speaker Bose® sound system with 249-watt amplifier and subwoofer
As previously highlighted, the new GT SP extends the GT offer with:
- Black metallic 19-inch alloy wheels
- Black exterior mirror caps
- Black Maztex and Black Grand Luxe Synthetic Suede seat upholstery with red contrast stitching
- Black finished interior trims
Finally, the Akera adds:
- 360° View Monitor
- Brilliant dark 19-inch alloy wheels
- Front seats with ventilation function
- Heated steering wheel
- Rear seats with heating function (outer second-row)
- Dark russet Nappa leather seat upholstery
- Steering wheel heating
- 7.0-inch TFT LCD multi-information display
- Ambient Lighting (LED)
- Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH)
- Black headliner
- Frameless rear-view mirror
- Genuine wood door and dashboard trim inserts
- Unique overhead console
Mica and metallic paints brighten CX-5’s exterior
The updated Mazda CX-5 offers a range of dazzling mica and metallic paint options.
Available at no cost are Snowflake White Pearl White Mica, Titanium Flash Mica, Eternal Blue Mica, Deep Crystal Blue Mica and Jet Black Mica. Sonic Silver Metallic paint is also available for no additional cost.
Premium metallic paints are available at $495 (MRLP) and include Machine Grey Metallic, Polymetal Grey Metallic and Soul Red Metallic.
Mazda CX-5: Model lineup and pricing at a glance
|Grade||MRLP (ex. on-road costs)|
|Maxx Petrol Manual FWD||$31,190|
|Maxx Petrol Auto FWD||$33,190|
|Maxx Petrol Auto AWD||$36,190|
|Maxx Sport Petrol Auto FWD||$36,490|
|Maxx Sport Petrol Auto AWD||$39,490|
|Maxx Sport Diesel Auto AWD||$42,490|
|Touring Petrol Auto AWD||$41,280|
|Touring Diesel Auto AWD||$44,280|
|GT Petrol Auto AWD||$46,990|
|GT Petrol Turbo Auto AWD||$49,490|
|GT Diesel Auto AWD||$49,990|
|GT SP Petrol Auto AWD||$47,490|
|GT SP Petrol Turbo Auto AWD||$49,990|
|Akera Petrol Auto AWD||$49,380|
|Akera Petrol Turbo Auto AWD||$51,880|
|Akera Diesel Auto AWD||$52,380|