New Mazda BT-50 Range Expanded, SP And 1.9 Litre Models Confirmed
Available from January 2022, Mazda’s premium utility vehicle expands its offer further with the first-ever Mazda BT-50 SP model and the introduction of a new 1.9-litre turbo-diesel engine option.
Since its 2020 introduction, the Brand-New Mazda BT-50 has been much lauded for its mix of on-road refinement, off-road capability, and class-leading safety credentials.
“As we move towards the Brand-New BT-50’s second year, we are already focused on evolving the product and offering wider customer choice, which is a hallmark of our business,” said Mazda Australia Managing Director, Vinesh Bhindi.
“The new Mazda BT-50 SP model brings a strong, sporty aesthetic with impressive equipment levels, while the new 1.9-litre turbo-diesel drivetrain delivers a highly capable entry point into the BT-50 model range.
“Brand-New Mazda BT-50 has performed strongly in 2021, with July recording the second-highest sales month in the nameplate’s history.
“July also saw the range surpass the total 2020 BT-50 sales figure. These impressive results have enabled us to secure additional supply from November production.”
Introducing the Mazda BT-50 SP
The first-ever Mazda BT-50 SP introduces the significant SP badge to Mazda’s utility vehicle for the first time.
Positioned above the luxuriously appointed BT-50 GT Dual Cab Pickup, the factory-produced BT-50 SP uses a combination of black and dark grey exterior features to give a sporty appeal. Building on the highly specified GT, which already includes heated front seats and an auto-dimming interior mirror, the SP adds:
- Dark metallic grey roof rails
- Black grille
- Gunmetal signature wing
- Gloss black exterior mirrors
- Gloss black door handles
- Satin black 18-inch alloy wheels
- Dark grey side steps
- Driftwood leather and black synthetic suede interior trim
- Manually-operated black roller tonneau cover
- Tub liner
- Gloss black sail-plane sport bar
- Front bumper lower decoration trim
- Gloss black wheel flares
BT-50 SP is powered by the current 3.0-litre turbocharged diesel four-cylinder engine, producing 140kW and 450Nm. Exclusively available in 4 x 4 Dual Cab Pickup form, the BT-50 SP comes with a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions.
Ready to work: The new Mazda BT-50 XS
With a new 1.9-litre turbocharged diesel engine, the new Mazda BT-50 XS grade presents an exciting entry into the BT-50 model range.
Available in three styles (4 x 2 Single Cab Chassis, 4 x 2 Dual Cab Pickup and 4 x 4 Dual Cab Pickup), the BT-50 XS’s four-cylinder turbo-diesel generates 110kW and a 350Nm torque peak and is capable of towing up to three tonnes. All models feature a six-speed automatic transmission.
Mazda BT-50 XS rides on steel wheels, with key equipment otherwise being identical to the existing 3.0-litre XT. This means a strong focus on advanced safety features and integrated connectivity technologies to get the job done.
BT-50 XS and XT specification highlights
- 17-inch steel wheels (XS)
- 17-inch alloy wheels (XT)
- LED Headlamps with manual levelling
- Power-adjustable body-coloured exterior mirrors
- Black cloth seat trim
- Power windows
- Vinyl floor
- Cruise Control (XT manual transmission)
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go (automatic transmission)
- 7-inch full-colour infotainment touchscreen
- Apple CarPlay® (wireless and USB) and Android™ Auto (USB)
- Bluetooth® hands-free telephone and audio capability
- DAB+ digital radio
- Reverse camera
- Rear-seat USB charging point
- Airbags SRS (driver, front passenger, side, curtain, driver’s knee and driver’s far-side)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Attention Assist
- Automatic High Beam (AHB)
- Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK) – Overtaking
- Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
- Hill Descent Control (HDC)
- Hill Launch Assist (HLA)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Departure Prevention (LDP)
- Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) (automatic transmission only)
- Locking Rear Differential (LRD) – switchable on/off (4×4 models)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Rear Parking Sensors (Pickup body only)
- Roll Over Protection (ROP)
- Secondary Collision Reduction
- Speed Assist System
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Turn Assist
New XTR grade enhances Dual Cab Chassis range
The XTR grade has been the best-selling of the range since introduction, its mix of rugged capability, value-packed standard features and strong safety attributes proving highly popular.
A new Dual Cab Chassis XTR variant now joins the line up alongside the existing XTR Dual Cab Pickups.
Available in 4 x 4, with a six-speed automatic transmission and the established 3.0-litre turbo-diesel engine, the XTR Dual Cab Chassis can be customised with a variety of trays to suit the task at hand.
BT-50 XTR specification highlights (in addition to XT)
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Exterior mirrors with power folding function
- LED Headlamps with auto levelling
- LED front fog lamps
- Side steps
- LED signature daytime running lamps
- Dual-zone climate control air-conditioning with rear vents
- Leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob
- Auto-dimming interior mirror
- Rear seat with centre armrest
- 9-inch full-colour infotainment touchscreen
- Satellite navigation
- Advanced keyless entry
Mazda BT-50 GT Dual Cab Pickup
The high-grade Mazda BT-50 GT, exclusively available in Dual Cab Pickup form, provides the ultimate step-up with its luxury-focused interior appointments and sophisticated style.
Key specification highlights (in addition to XTR)
- Chrome exterior mirrors with heating function
- Brown leather seat trim
- Driver’s seat with eight-way power adjustment
- Heated front seats
- Remote engine start (automatic transmission)
- Front parking sensors
Thunder continues to reign
The market-specific BT-50 Thunder continues to sit at the head of the Mazda BT-50 range.
Featuring a single hoop steel front bull bar, Lightforce dual-row LED lightbar, 18-inch Black alloy wheels, fender flares, side steps, premium sports bar, electric roller tonneau and tub liner, the Thunder stamps its authority from the first glance.
Updated safety systems for greater ease-of-use
Following customer feedback, all BT-50 models now feature a new Lane Support System button.
By pressing and holding this button for two seconds, drivers can disable the standard Lane Support systems where required.
Other changes include black (rather than body-colour) rear bumpers for all cab chassis models, also in response to dealer and customer feedback.
Mazda BT-50 available exterior paint finishes:
- Ice White
- True Black Mica
- Ingot Silver Metallic
- Concrete Grey Mica
- Gun Blue Mica
- Rock Grey Mica
- Red Volcano Mica
Mazda BT-50 available upholsteries:
- Black Cloth (XS, XT, XTR)
- Brown Leather (GT, Thunder)
- Driftwood Leather and Cloth (SP)
Further specification and pricing details of the Brand-New Mazda BT-50 range will be announced closer to market launch.