Subaru Corporation has unveiled the all-new 2022 WRX (U.S. model).
Blair Read, General Manager Subaru Australia, said: “To say we’re incredibly excited about the all-new Subaru WRX global reveal is an understatement. We look forward to sharing more information about this highly-anticipated model with Subaru enthusiasts and Australian consumers in the coming months.”
The specification mentioned throughout this release is in relation to the global reveal of the new Subaru WRX. Information regarding the local specification of the Subaru WRX will be revealed closer to the release date.
From tomorrow, Saturday 11th September 2021, customers can register their interest in the all-new Subaru WRX at www.subaru.com.au to stay up to date with the latest information.
Equipped with a Symmetrical AWD (All-Wheel drive) system built around Subaru BOXER engine, the WRX is the symbol of Subaru AWD sport performance. Ever since the first model hit the streets back in 1992*1, the WRX has gained worldwide support from sports car enthusiasts as a distinctive performance car combining impressive sport performance with the practicality of a four-door sedan.
While inheriting the elements that have been making WRX a WRX throughout four generations, the all-new WRX was further evolved. As a result, the value as a performance car and the value as a practical sedan have both been enhanced evolutionally with this new generation WRX.
The power unit has been upgraded to 2.4L direct injection Subaru BOXER turbo engine that brings strong, quick and responsive acceleration. The engine is installed on the highly rigid body and chassis built on the Subaru Global Platform with full inner frame construction that significantly enhances vehicle responsiveness and ride comfort. In addition, Subaru Performance Transmission incorporating adaptive shift control for a much quicker shifting response, the Drive Mode Select system that changes the driving characteristics of the car according to the driver’s preference, and the new generation EyeSight that brings even more safety are available on select trim. As a performance sedan that combines enhanced driving excitement and daily practicality, the new WRX offers greater performance, technology and safety that support active lifestyles.
The new WRX (U.S. model) is scheduled to go on sale in the US in 2022. For Australia we don’t yet have a confirmed launch date however, at this stage, we anticipate WRX being in showrooms in Q2, 2022.
Main features of the new WRX (U.S. model)
Enjoyment to control exceptional performance at driver’s will
- The powerful acceleration of the turbo engine and the superior controllability of the Symmetrical AWD have been further enhanced.
Exceptional dynamic performance that generates driving excitement
- A 2.4L direct injection Subaru BOXER turbo engine quickly respond to the driver’s acceleration pedal operation and generates high torque from low rpm. Not only strong acceleration during sports driving, but the engine also delivers a smooth acceleration feel in daily use and brings the enjoyment of driving in various scenes.
- For vehicles equipped with Subaru Performance Transmission, sports shift control has been adopted to further enhance the enjoyment of driving. Even while the shifting remains in the D range, the car automatically and quickly changes the ratio in response to the driver’s acceleration / deceleration operation.
- Variable Torque Distribution AWD system, which delivers both vehicle stability and sporty turning performance, is adopted for the vehicles equipped with Subaru Performance Transmission. For the trim featuring Drive Mode Select function, AWD sport mode further enhances turning performance by controlling LSD torque.
Evolution of driving dynamics, the core pillar of WRX
- The WRX is built on the Subaru Global Platform for the first time. In combination with full inner frame construction and structural adhesive application, the rigidity of the body and chassis has been further enhanced. As a result, it enables sharper handling and reduction of unpleasant vibrations and shaking.
- The chassis geometry has been optimized so that the suspension can move more smoothly in response to input from the road surface. With longer functional stroke compared to the previous model, the ground contact and stability are improved. It also contributes to ride comfort.
- Dual-pinion electric power steering system, which has separate axis for the motor assist and the driver’s input, has been newly adopted. It delivers a smooth and responsive, sporty steering feel.
Special equipment that maximizes the enjoyment of driving
- Available Drive Mode Select system offers additional options to configure steering feel, damper settings and more with just a push of a button.
- On the vehicles featuring Drive Mode Select System, electronically controlled dampers deliver both sporty and high-quality ride feel. The damping force is variably controlled in response to the input from road surface and vehicle information to achieve a flat ride with less shaking.
Aggressive and sporty design that evokes the driving enjoyment
- The bold and aggressive styling expresses the enjoyment of driving that the performance car offers.
Aggressive exterior raises expectations for exciting driving
- Three-dimensional, deeply carved shape starting from the hexagon grille, wide and low front bumper and the bulging fenders express the dynamic feeling and raise expectations for superior driving performance.
- Black trim pieces including the sport side garnishes on the front and rear fenders and the side sill spoilers feature hexagon patterned aerodynamic texture that reduces air resistance. Air outlets opened at the front sport side garnishes and each side of the rear bumper enhance the driving stability, as well as the exterior appeal.
Sporty and advanced interior styling
- A sporty black interior with red stitching raises expectations for aggressive and sporty performance of the new WRX.
- A large, high-definition center information display that integrates various functions located in the center of the instrument panel makes your travel time more fun and satisfying.
- The newly designed RECARO*2 front seats codeveloped with RECARO are available on select trim. The new seats bring better body holding performance and help keeping the preferred driving position in sport driving.
Advanced safety performance for driving with peace of mind
- Enhanced safety performance of the new WRX enables driver to have more fun to drive.
Upgraded EyeSight driver assist technology
- A new generation EyeSight with wider viewing angle is standard on all trims with Subaru Performance Transmission. In combination with the newly added electric brake booster which improves responsiveness of braking assist, the operation coverage of pre-collision braking has been expanded to support collision avoidance at intersection.
- A stereo camera with wider viewing angle expanded the area of recognition. The vehicle can continue to follow the preceding vehicle even on sharper curves and recognize a preceding vehicle coming into the same lane faster.
Practical packaging that supports active lifestyles
- A sporty design, comfortable cabin space, and a practical luggage space are all packed in a performance sedan package.
A spacious cabin with comfort
- The shoulder room has been expanded, both front and rear, for more comfort of each passenger. In addition, longer wheelbase compared to the previous WRX has brought the expanded legroom for rear seat passengers.
- Excellent visibility, a traditional Subaru value, has also been inherited to the new WRX for greater peace of mind while driving.
Functional luggage space that supports active lifestyle
- As a practical sedan, the trunk space is sufficient to load a stroller or golf bags, with dimensions similar to the previous WRX.
Preliminary specification of the new WRX (U.S. model equipped with 18-inch aluminum alloy wheel All data estimated and not final.)
|Engine||Type||2.4-liter Subaru BOXER (Horizontally-Opposed) four cylinder, DOHC,
Direct injection turbo
|Type||6MT||Subaru Performance Transmission|
|AWD System||Center differential
+ Viscous coupling
|Variable Torque Distribution AWD
MacPherson-type struts, lower L-arms, coil springs, stabilizer bar/
Double wishbone, coil springs, stabilizer bar
|Wheels||18-inch aluminum alloy|
*1: First model was introduced to Japan market as Impreza WRX in 1992. US introduction was in 2001.
*2: RECARO® is the registered trademark of RECARO Holding GmbH