Mazda Australia is proud to announce updates to its three-row CX-8 Large SUV for 2021, headlined by two engaging new models: the sporty Touring SP and luxurious Asaki LE models with its ‘Captain’s Seat’ second-row layout.
“The Mazda CX-8 has enjoyed strong popularity as the range has evolved over time,” said Mazda Australia Managing Director, Vinesh Bhindi.
“Through its life we’ve continually refined the customer proposition, adding petrol and front-drive variants in response to dealer and customer feedback.
“With this latest update we add some key technology updates as well as two excitingly-specified new models in the Touring SP and Asaki LE, making the CX-8 model range more enticing than ever,” he said.
The updated Mazda CX-8 range is now available in showrooms nationally.
Sleek Asaki LE tops refreshed CX-8 range
Following the successful introduction of the ‘Captain’s Seat’ layout in the Mazda CX-9, the new Asaki LE introduces the luxurious six-seat layout to the CX-8 range for the first time.
Featuring a new, quilted Nappa leather seat upholstery available in Chroma Brown or exclusive-to-Asaki LE Pure White, the new CX-8 Asaki LE sits atop the refreshed CX-8 model range.
A proud central console separates second-row occupants and features twin cup holders and integrated USB charging ports, while the luxurious seats themselves offer power adjustment as well as heating and ventilation functions.
The Mazda CX-8 Asaki LE is powered exclusively by the 2.2-litre turbocharged diesel engine, i-Activ AWD via a six-speed automatic transmission.
Sporty new Touring SP models available in petrol and diesel
Continuing the standards set by our recently-refreshed Mazda6, CX-5 and CX-9 model ranges, the updated Mazda CX-8 introduces a sporty SP model, here based on the popular Touring specification.
Available in both 2.5-litre petrol front-wheel drive and 2.2-litre turbocharged i-Activ AWD forms, the CX-8 Touring SP stands out from the crowd with a range of bespoke aesthetic enhancements.
The CX-8 Touring SP’s exterior features unique black metallic -finished 19-inch alloy wheels (up from the standard 17-inch alloy wheels), black grille and exterior mirror caps, while the interior immediately draws the eye with its unique Black Maztex / Black Grand Luxe® synthetic suede combination upholstery and red stitching.
Further interior enhancements include contrasting red stitching, black interior decoration and side door panels and ten-way power adjustment for the driver’s seat, with two-position memory function.
Updated specification and technology enhancements
The impressive 10.25-inch Mazda Connect widescreen display features on the new CX-8 GT model grade and above, with smartphone wireless charge also standard on these models.
GT models and above also benefit from a new remote operated and hands-free tailgate and feature model-specific (GT/Asaki/Asaki LE) 19-inch alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres.
Touring models and above also offer steering wheel-mounted paddle shift gear as standard, for another layer of driver interaction and control.
The Sport retains durable and comfortable Black Cloth seat upholstery, while stepping up to the Touring brings Black Leather.
Black Maztex / Black Grand Luxe® synthetic suede is a feature bespoke to the Touring SP range, while GT seat upholstery has been refreshed with a choice of new Burgundy or Black leather.
Asaki now features Chroma Brown quilted Nappa leather as standard, while the Asaki LE offers the choice of Chroma Brown or Pure White quilted Nappa leather.
Two stunning new metallic exterior colours – Platinum Quartz Metallic and Polymetal Grey Metallic – join the CX-8 palette, supporting Snowflake White Pearl Mica, Titanium Flash Mica, Jet Black Mica, Deep Crystal Blue Mica, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, and Machine Grey Metallic.
Full specification updates are detailed further below.
A range of smooth and efficient powertrain options are available across the updated Mazda CX-8 range, ensuring customers a wide array of options to suit their lifestyle.
All CX-8 variants use the slick-shifting six-speed automatic transmission with gear ratios tuned to the specific engine application.
A naturally-aspirated 2.5-litre Skyactiv-G petrol engine is available for Sport, Touring and new Touring SP grades in front-wheel drive form. This engine generates 140kW and 252Nm and features i-stop technology, which contributes to a combined fuel consumption of 8.1L/100km.
Also available is the responsive and torquey turbocharged 2.2-litre Skyactiv-D diesel engine.
Available in front- or i-Activ AWD form, this engine generates 140kW alongside an impressive 450Nm torque peak, with combined fuel consumption of only 5.9L/100km in front-drive form, or 6.0L/100km in all-wheel drive models.
Every new Mazda sold in Australia features a five-star ANCAP safety rating for ultimate peace of mind.
The entire Mazda CX-8 range features an expansive list of passive and active safety features, including airbags for the driver and front passenger, as well as front-side and curtain airbags.
Blind-Spot Monitoring, Lane-keep Assist System, Lane Departure Warning, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Smart Brake Support and Smart City Brake Support for front and rear are just some of the active safety features available range-wide.
Key specification highlights
The updated Mazda CX-8 range commences with the Sport specification. Available in front-wheel drive petrol and all-wheel drive diesel, the Sport’s standard specification features:
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 225/65 tyres
- Headlamps (LED) with auto on/off function
- Power mirrors (body coloured with heating and auto-folding function)
- Wipers (front) two-speed with rain sensing function
- Active driving display
- Air-conditioning (three-zone climate control) with independent rear control
- Rear-view mirror with auto-dimming function
- Rear seats with: Centre armrest
- Seat trim: Black cloth
- Leather wrapped: gear shift knob and steering wheel
- 8-inch full colour touch screen display (MZD Connect)
- Six-speaker audio system with AM/FM tuner, Bluetooth capability, and Digital radio (DAB+)
- Apple Carplay® and Android™ Auto
- Satellite navigation
- Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
- High Beam Control (HBC)
- Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane-keep Assist System (LAS)
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) with Stop & Go function
- Parking sensors (Rear)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Reverse camera
- Smart Brake Support (SBS)
- Smart City Brake Support [Forward/Reverse] (SCBSF/R) with night time pedestrian detection [Forward]
- Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR)
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Electric parking brake with Auto Hold
In addition to the Sport, the new Mazda CX-8 Touring features:
- LED fog lamps
- Parking sensors (front)
- Advanced keyless entry
- Seat trim: Black leather
- Driver’s seat with eight-way power adjustment
- Passenger’s seat with six-way power adjustment
- Front row seat heating
- Second-row seats with centre armrest storage and USB charging ports
- One-touch ‘walk-in’ access to third seat row
- Paddle shift gear control (New)
In addition to the Touring, the new Mazda CX-8 Touring SP features:
- 19-inch black metallic alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres
- Black front grille design
- Black exterior mirror caps
- Black honeycomb pattern interior decoration and side door panel trims
- Seat trim: Black Maztex / Black Grand Luxe® synthetic suede
- Red interior stitching
- Driver’s seat with ten-way power adjustment and two-position memory function
- Second-row seat heating (outer seats)
In addition to the Touring SP, the new Mazda CX-8 GT features:
- 19-inch Bright alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres (new colour)
- Gloss black front grille design (new)
- Bright exterior side garnish
- Adaptive Front-lighting system (AFS)
- LED signature headlights and DRLs
- Remote operated and handsfree power tailgate (open/close) (new)
- Metal wood interior decoration and side door panel trims (new)
- Seat trim: Burgundy or Black leather (new)
- Power sliding and tilt-glass sunroof
- 10.25-inch widescreen display (Mazda Connect) (new)
- Wireless phone charger (new)
- Premium 10-speaker Bose sound system including sub-woofer
- Third-row USB charging ports
- Rear door window sunshade
- LED cargo lamps
- LED vanity mirror lamps
In addition to the GT, the new Mazda CX-8 Asaki features:
- 19-inch Bright alloy wheels with 225/55 tyres (new design)
- Gun metallic front grille (new)
- Bright lower front bumper moulding (new)
- Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH)
- Larger rear tailpipe design (new)
- Silver honeycomb pattern interior decoration and side door panel trims (new)
- Seat trim: Chroma Brown Nappa leather with quilting (new)
- Front seats with ventilation function
- Heated steering wheel
- 7-inch TFT LCD multi-information meter display
- 360° View Monitor
- Frameless rear-view mirror
- Chrome plated power seat adjuster
- Unique steering wheel stitching
- Unique overhead console
- LED glovebox illumination
- LED Ambient lighting
In addition to the Asaki, the new Mazda CX-8 Asaki LE features:
- Second-row Captain’s Seat layout, two seats with power adjustment and ventilation function
- Second-row centre console with cup holders and USB ports
- Seat trim: Chroma Brown or Pure White Nappa leather with quilting
Mazda CX-8: Model lineup and pricing at a glance
|Grade||MRLP (ex. on-road costs)|
|Sport Petrol FWD||$39,990|
|Touring Petrol FWD||$46,790|
|Sport Diesel AWD||$46,990|
|Touring SP Petrol FWD||$47,790|
|Touring Diesel AWD||$53,790|
|Touring SP Diesel AWD||$54,790|
|GT Diesel FWD||$59,290|
|Asaki Diesel FWD||$62,790|
|GT Diesel AWD||$63,290|
|Asaki Diesel AWD||$66,790|
|Asaki LE Diesel AWD||$69,920|
Warranty and roadside assist
All Mazda models feature a five-year, unlimited kilometre warranty as well as five years’ premium roadside assistance.